Friday, July 13, 2012

Always Pray and Don't Give Up

"Then Jesus told his disciples this parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up."
Luke 18:1

There it is again...persistent prayer. It has come up quite often in my Bible reading and devotions lately.

Every time I've read or heard that theme in these past few weeks, I think of the prayers I've sent heavenward on my Mom's behalf. I'll admit that I've entertained thoughts of giving up. Maybe this is just the way it will be - a slow but steady decline until Mom meets Jesus.

Deep down inside I don't think that's the case. Another theme that keeps appearing in my Bible reading time is that with God all things are possible. I've learned over the years that repetions like this are God's means of communicating with us in a very personal way.

In the parable, a widow keeps coming to a judge seeking justice. The judge ignores her requests for some time. But finally he decides to obtain justice for her, not because he thinks the woman deserves it, but because he's tired of being bothered with her pleas.

Jesus applies the parable saying, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?" Luke 18:6-7

The answer is a resounding "No!"

Jane L. Fryar writes in Today's Light:

          Think of it! You are His chosen one in Christ Jesus. Your heavenly Father himself
          will hear your case, not some uncaring stranger. He's invited, even commanded, you
          to petition His court. Go ahead; cry out to Him day and night! Bring your needs, your
          hurts, your sins to Him. He will hear. He will help. He will forgive.  
         (Today's Light, Vol. 6, No. 4, Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, MO, p.15)

So, I will keep praying. I will keep asking my heavenly Father for a way for Mom to be released from the shackles of Paxil. And I will trust that he will do what is best in his perfect time.




No comments:

Post a Comment